Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Shawn Johnson finally gets a gold


I almost missed the gymnastics competition at the Olympics. It conflicted with swimming almost every day. And since there were three Charlotte swimmers and zero Charlotte gymnasts in the Olympics, I had to be at the pool most of the time.

Plus, to be honest, I like to cover swimming more than gymnastics. I prefer Olympic sports where you can see the finish line and know who won -- swimming and track, for instance -- compared to "judged" sports.

All that said, though, I'm really glad I went to the women's balance beam final Tuesday -- the last event of the women's competition. Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin went gold-silver in the event -- Johnson's first gold of the Olympics in her last event. Johnson deserved it, too -- even an untrained eye could see that. That's Johnson in the center of this picture -- all 4-foot-7 of her -- and Nastia on the left of the picture.

No comments: